Sunday, May 27, 2012

The Spell Continues

After reading the first book, Spellbound, by Cara Lynn Shultz, I knew that these books would be one of my favorites.  I love Emma as a character.  She experienced with taking care of herself and keeping her emotions in check.  And then there's Brenden, her boyfriend, who's absolutely smokin' hot and very protective of her.  They're such a cute couple that make up a great and interesting story.  And because of their curse--that was broken--people of the magical kind are attracted to the two of them, not all of them good.
Finding your eternal soulmate – easy.
Stopping a true-love-hungry evil – not so much…
After breaking a centuries-old romantic curse, Emma Connor is (almost) glad to get back to normal problems. Although…it’s not easy dealing with the jealous cliques and gossip that rule her exclusive Upper East Side prep, even for a sixteen-year-old newbie witch. Having the most-wanted boy in school as her eternal soul mate sure helps ease the pain-especially since wealthy, rocker-hot Brendan Salinger is very good at staying irresistibly close….
But something dark and hungry is using Emma and Brendan’s deepest fears to reveal damaging secrets and destroy their trust in each other. And Emma’s crash course in über-spells may not be enough to keep them safe…or to stop an inhuman force bent on making their unsuspected power its own.

In the beginning, I wasn't exactly thrilled with the idea of two teenagers being The Ones for each other.  I guess I'm an oldie in that sense, but I feel that two kids simply can't fall deeply in love and create this serious relationship with each other.  But that was the curse that did that to them, but they were still meant for each other even after it was broken.
I was glad this story didn't deal so much with school life, although they went there every weekday.  Now that Anthony disappeared, there was a sense of false calm in the beginning.  Nothing could possibly go wrong with them now that the curse was broken.  After I read the first book and discovered that there was another one soon to come out, I was confused.  I didn't really see where else the story could go.  The curse was broken.  Problem solved.  Unfortunately, the story doesn't come that easy to Brenden and Emma; a jealous, power-hungry dark witch is lurking in the shadows of Brenden and Emma's happiness, waiting for the right moment to strike.
Things got interesting after I figured that out.  Once again, Brenden and Emma have to fight to stay together.  Only now, they're relationship is stronger and the person after them has magical powers. 
Book Two here was an improvement from the first book, in my opinion.  Maybe that could be because Emma and Brenden's relationship didn't seem as far-fetched as it was in Spellbound.  I wonder what will happen next, but I can wait.  I did, however, give this pretty five stars.  Good book!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from people, so comment away! What do you think of this post?

Designed by Seo Evie. Powered by Blogger.