Monday, June 11, 2012

The Selection by Kiera Cass

I heard about this book a while before it actually came out.  I guess I was fairly excited for this one. 
For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in the palace and compete for the heart of the gorgeous Prince Maxon.
But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.
Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself- and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.


I thought that The Selection was a very original and different approach to a futuristic/dystopian world.  I didn't get exactly where the setting was, but I didn't mind that much.
I really liked America's character.  She's different than the rest of the girls that are after money and fame.  She doesn't want any of that, so I was already liking her by the first few pages.  She wasn't materialistic and that was cool with me.  If there was anything I didn't like about her was that she wasn't very trusting.  Although, it's kind of understandable that she doesn't trust this handsome prince that plans on marrying one of them.  But, when she receives the opportunity to open up and vent, she stays cocooned up in her own depressing thoughts and hides away.  Can't she see a trusting person she can talk to????  He's smack dab in front of you, woman! 
Things got better as the book progressed. I was happy.
What I didn't like about the book, unfortunately?  Well, it just didn't hold that spark that made this book that much better.  Honestly, I think the entire story could have been wrapped up in one book.  And The Selection was pretty short, too.  Although, I'm not sure where Kiera Cass is going with her idea, so I could be wrong.  The whole thing reminded me too much of The Bachelor, and I do not like that show.  And the only exciting things that went on were the kissing and the two rebel attacks, and the attacks weren't THAT attack-y.
Overall, this pretty gets three out of five stars.  This book just needed that extra umph to really be a great book.  Once again, I feel so bad for giving a book less than four stars, but sometimes it happens.  I'm still looking forward to the next book, though.  Kind of excited to see what happens next, too.  I think it's the girly girl part of me that's really looking forward to it.
Oh, totally Team Maxon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from people, so comment away! What do you think of this post?

Designed by Seo Evie. Powered by Blogger.