Thursday, November 29, 2012

Defiance by C.J Redwine

The Synopsis:
Within the walls of Baalboden, beneath the shadow of the city's brutal leader, Rachel Adams has a secret. While other girls sew dresses and obey their male Protectors, Rachel knows how to survive in the wilderness and deftly wield a sword. When her father, Jared, fails to return from a courier mission and is declared dead, the Commander assigns Rachel a new Protector, her father's apprentice, Logan--the same boy Rachel declared her love for two years ago, and the same one who handed her heart right back to her. Left with nothing but a fierce belief in her father's survival, Rachel decides to escape and find him herself. But treason against the Commander carries a heavy price, and what awaits her in the Wasteland could destroy her.

At nineteen, Logan McEntire is many things. Orphan. Outcast. Inventor. As apprentice to the city's top courier, Logan is focused on learning his trade so he can escape the tyranny of Baalboden. But his plan never included being responsible for his mentor's impulsive daughter. Logan is determined to protect her, but when his escape plan goes wrong and Rachel pays the price, he realizes he has more at stake than disappointing Jared.

As Rachel and Logan battle their way through the Wasteland, stalked by a monster that can't be killed and an army of assassins out for blood, they discover romance, heartbreak, and a truth that will incite a war decades in the making.

My Thoughts:
I was so super excited for the publication of this book.  I mean, that is one kick ass cover with Rachel wearing that billowing cloak and boots.  The cover was what had admittedly drew me into the book.  After reading that synopsis, then I knew that I would really enjoy this book.  And then there was just so much hype for it!  So much hype.  So then, of course, all I wanted to do was read the pretty.

Honestly, I was just a little let down.  Just a little.  Don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved the book, but there were just a few things here and there that would irk me.

Rachel, for example.  I loved her fiery--not to use the title, but--defiance and stubbornness.  But I sometimes found her to be too childish and pouty.  I loved how impulsive she was and she would say how strong she was--and be able to prove it--but then she'd go on this catatonic breakdown, and I was just like "Whaaat?"  She wasn't as consistent of a character as I had hoped.  She certainly was still a great character, but she was missing that consistency that would have made her more believable.

Secondly, there is a difference between cute awkward romance and just plain old awkward romance.  I mean, I guess to some people what Logan and Rachel had was cute in that awkward, but to me I was all "Stop.  Just stop right there."  I am definitely a Rachel/Logan shipper, right from the very first page, but there were these uncomfortable situations that bothered me.

However, there were many things about I did like!  I mean, this is some fantasy/dystopian something that had so much action and adventure and awesomeness.  The bad dude, I mean, he was really bad.  Like super bad man bad.  It was crazy!  I had no idea what he was up to or anything, so I loved it!  And then there's this dragon thing?  Yup.  'Tis good stuff.

And the writing!  So descriptive!  I was enveloped in the imagery that was Redwine.  The streets of Baalboden came to life, every person, good and bad, striding along the way.  It was amazing how Redwine just created this entirely different and original world and made it almost like this breathing thing.  It was awesome!  The storyline was not what I expected it to be at all, and things just pretty much took me by surprise at almost every chapter.  Those are two great aspects I'm looking for in books and I'm glad that Defiance could give them to me.

Defiance was the ultimate package of action, adventure, and overall awesomeness.  Even though there were some little hiccups here and there, it was a great book with masterful writing.  I was introduced to a dark and dangerous world that kept me reading until the very last pages, where I then proceeded to put down the book and experience a lovely book hangover.  If you are a reader looking for something entirely different to read with an epic plot, I would highly suggest Defiance.

4 comments:

  1. I've wanted to read this one since it came out. I've seen so many mixed reviews that I don't know weather or not I'm going to try it. I'm sure if I do decide to try it that I'll like it though. Great review Millie!

    Jasmine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Jasmine, I've been wanting to read this for ages! Sorry this was a little disappointing for you. Rachel sounds a little worrisome, but hopefully that's something not too overwhelming. I'm curious to see how the relationship between her and Logan pans out, and the mix of genres. Wonderful review, Millie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, I'm with you on this one. I was SO excited and it didn't really live up to my hopes. Still, I thought it was fun and entertaining will definitely continue.

    However, I am so NOT a Rachel/Logan shipper. They creep me out. He treats her more like a father than a boyfriend, which is why they're so goddamn awkward. JUST NO TO THEM MAKING OUT.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you loved this one Millie! I enjoyed it bunches! 'Super bad man bad.' Haha, love it! He was a bad dude, like you said I never knew what his agenda was. Loved the dragon thing too! I'm dying to get my hands on the next book!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from people, so comment away! What do you think of this post?

Designed by Seo Evie. Powered by Blogger.