Friday, November 23, 2012

Through to You by Emily Hainsworth

The Synopsis:
Camden Pike has been grief-stricken since his girlfriend, Viv, died. He’d give anything to have just one more glimpse of her. But when Cam visits the site of Viv’s deadly car accident, he sees an apparition. Her name is Nina, and she’s a girl from a parallel world. When Cam follows here there and makes an unbelievable discovery, it’s as if all his wildest dreams have come true. But things are very different in this other world. Nina is hiding a secret, and the window between the worlds is shrinking every day. As Cam comes to terms with the truth, he’s forced to make a choice that will change his life forever.










My Thoughts:
Thanks, Epic Reads, for this advance copy of this book!

I was very interested in reading this book.  I mean, who wouldn't be interested in a sci-fi contemporary that includes alternate dimensions and such?  This sounded so much like the television series Fringe and I was so glad when this pretty arrived in my mailbox. 

Cam was not what I expected him to be.  He was pretty darn mopey to me.  The book starts off two months after the shocking death of his girlfriend Viv.  I get why he would be so depressed even though it's only been two months after her death, but Cam didn't have this desire to move forward.  It's not very often when the reader is in the head of a person that has no desire to do anything with their life.  Usually, the characters are driven and impulsive.  Cam was neither, and sometimes, his antics would really bother me.  His attitude was something I could fathom.  On top of that, he was thick-skulled and trying to get him to move on and understand things was a process.

My thoughts overall for this book was kind of meh.  It was good and very interesting.  It was a fast read and was suspenseful at times, but I thought it was a little too anticlimactic.  It all just went on at this very steady pace, but luckily, I didn't find things all too predictable.  I was surprised at many things that did happen in the book, but was not surprised by Cam's Debby Downer reaction.

One of the best things about Through to You was that it was a lot like Fringe.  The idea of alternate dimensions intrigues me, and on top of that, I really love watching Fringe.  So just imagine all this Awesome packed into a book that is only 272 pages long.  Alternate dimensions are not seen a lot in books, and I wish there was more of it because the possibilities are endless with this idea.  I mean, just look at Fringe.  A whole entire television show was created because of it.

Through to You, while having an overall dampening mood and sometimes infuriating main character, was thought-provoking and different, but in a good way.  The idea of having this inter-dimensional love is interesting.  In the end, who would you choose?  Would you rather end up alone or would you end up staying with the one you love?  While lacking in action and adrenaline-filled climax, this sci-fi contemporary had me hooked.  Fans of both romance and Fringe will definitely enjoy this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from people, so comment away! What do you think of this post?

Designed by Seo Evie. Powered by Blogger.