Wednesday, April 17, 2013

September Girls by Bennett Madison

September Girls by Bennett Madison
Genre: YA Paranormal
Expected Publication: May 21st, 2013
Publisher: HaperTeen
Page Count: 256
Goodreads
Amazon

When Sam's dad whisks him and his brother off to a remote beach town for the summer, he's all for it-- at first. Sam soon realizes, though, that this place is anything but ordinary. Time seems to slow down around here, and everywhere he looks, there are beautiful blond girls. Girls who seem inexplicably drawn to him.

Then Sam meets DeeDee, one of the Girls, and she's different from the others. Just as he starts to fall for her, she pulls away, leaving him more confused than ever. He knows that if he's going to get her back, he'll have to uncover the secret of this beach and the girls who live here.

 *A review copy was provided from the publisher*

I had to delay writing this review for a while because my thoughts were a little everywhere on this one, and I wasn't sure what to say about it.  There was something inexplicably magical about this book.  However, this also wasn't my typical read and I had this almost meh feeling towards it, so let me see if I can review it all in an intelligible manner.

At first, I didn't even realize that Sam had a name until probably around 100+ pages through.  I have no idea, but the name never really came up.  There were moments with Sam where I really connected with him, but for the most part, I didn't feel much towards him.  It wasn't until the very end that I finally had this moment of connecting with all of the characters and having FEELS.

The thing about this book, though, is that there was something so enchanting and magical and moving about it.  I may not have been connected with any of the characters, but there was this quality that made me fall in love with the story.  Things were slow in the beginning, but by the end, I was ready to cry or something.  That, I was not expecting, and for that, I appreciate and respect Madison's writing.  The fact that he took me wholly off guard and spit all these words in my eyes with all these beautiful morals and plot twists was something amazing.

It is hard for me to describe me feelings on September Girls.  It was not something I expected at all and resonated within me, but it was a bit slow going for me.  The characters lacked that spark, but yet, but the end, I was utterly surprised by how I enjoyed it.  If you're not a fan of excessive cursing, I don't recommend this book for you, but if you don't mind, then, by all means, give this book a chance.

3 Splashes

4 comments:

  1. Hmm, after reading your review, I'm not quite sure what to think of it! I'm definitely CURIOUS to read the book now, but I think I know now that I need to go into this book with lowered expectations. That cover just shouts MERMAIDS, but now I'm not too sure. Thanks for your fabulous review, Millie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohmagerd! Soo, jealous. I've been wanting to read this book for a while (like before the hype even began. o_O) From you review, I'm a little iffy about pre-ordering it, though. Maybe I'll wait until it's out in paperback, or something. Thanks for the heads up! (:

    ~Demi @ Characterized Book Reviews
    (New Follower)

    ReplyDelete
  3. eh i hate it when books lack that spark.. and especially if their slow!! Sometimes it does happen when I find out the narrator's names after a 100 pages, and that totally bothers me as well. Great review though!
    - Farah @ MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard so many negative things about this book that I just don't know what to think about it. Your's is a bit more positive that most of the others, though, so I guess you enjoyed it a bit more!

    Jennifer
    YA Sisterhood

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from people, so comment away! What do you think of this post?

Designed by Seo Evie. Powered by Blogger.